Member Info

Working In The Pipeline Industry

The Teamsters National Pipeline Agreement (TNPA) is a labor agreement covering all pipeline construction work in the United States. Pay rates under this agreement are based on “local rates” or “composite rates” if the work involves several Teamster jurisdictions. A typical work day is 10 hours a day, six days a week.

There is currently a need for trained pipeline workers. At the same time, many trained, experienced pipeline workers are retiring. We estimate there will be many well-paid work opportunities in the next several years for trained pipeline construction workers who are willing to travel. Many pipeline travelers have their own camp trailers or motor homes to live in near the work sites. Other pipeline travelers pay their own room and board, sharing apartments or hotel rooms, and splitting the costs.

When a project is in a local area, the local union with jurisdiction, who can staff the project, will refer local members to the contractor. In this case local hires are paid local wages. Fringe benefits go to the appropriate local fringe benefit fund.

The TNPA allows contractors to bring in a certain number of their workers on all projects. These members are considered “travelers.” All Travelers health and welfare contributions are paid directly to Central States and all Travelers pension contributions are sent directly to the Teamsters National Pipeline Pension Fund; except for a few contractors who have not previously withdrawn from Central States Pension Fund. By having a single source for health and welfare and pension benefits, Teamster pipeline travelers are better able to attain and maintain benefit eligibility.

The work covered by the TNPA is within typical Teamster jurisdiction. The majority of Teamster work involves the distribution of pipe. As an example, “racking” pipe consists of moving pipe from a location such as a rail head or port to a storage site or pipe yard near the construction zone. Stringing pipe involves moving the pipe from the pipe yard to the specific construction work area. Much of the stringing is off-road on a pipeline right-away. Depending on the type of pipe, it can be hauled on flat beds, high decks or steerable stringer trailers. Pipe lengths can be welded joints of up to 80 feet in length.

Central States Information

For more information on your Central States TeamCare benefits, registry, etc. visit the links below or contact their main office.

Register on to:

  • Check your claim status and payment
  • Review your enrollment
  • Review benefit information
  • Review bank of hours eligibility

TeamCare Forms and Documents
Find a Provider
Central States TeamCare Benefits

Contact Central States Funds:

Monday through Friday
8:00am to 5:30pm (CST)

ADDRESS: 8647 W. Higgins Rd,
Chicago, IL 60631

PHONE: 1-800-323-5000
FAX: 1-847-518-9794

Beneficiary Info & Forms

Don’t forget to keep your beneficiary information up to date, this is very important for you and your family! Follow the links below for more information and to update your info.

Teamsters National Pipe Line Pension Plan

Participant Portal

Members calling about Teamsters National Pipe Line Pension Plan status, credits, application for Pension, etc. contact using the following address, phone, fax or email.
C/O Zenith American Solutions
2520 Pilot Knob Road, Suite 325

Mendota Heights, MN  55120

Phone: (651)-256-1809
Toll Free: (855)-209-6741
Fax: (651) 256-1902

Life Insurance – FAQs
Who is Eligible?

All Travelers and Local Teamster Pipeliners covered by the Central States Health and Welfare Fund.

Which Teamsters Local Unions are covered?

Local Unions covered by Central States are: Alabama (Locals 402, 612 and 991); Arizona (Local 104); Arkansas (Local 878); Colorado (Local 455); Florida (Locals 79, 385, 512, 519, 769 and 991); Georgia (Locals 512, 519, 528, and 728); Illinois (Locals 26, 50, 135, 371, 525, 627, 722 and 916); Indiana (Locals 89, 135, 215, 364 and 414); Iowa (Local 371); Kansas (Locals 696, 795 and 823); Kentucky (Locals 89, 175, 215 and 236); Louisiana (Locals 5 and 270); Mississippi (Locals 5, 402, and 891); North Carolina (Locals 61, 71, 391 and 822); Ohio (Locals 175 and 697) Oklahoma (Local 516); South Carolina (Locals 71 and 509); Tennessee (Locals 327, 402, and 519); Texas (Local 657); Virginia (Locals 22, 29,171, 519, 592 and 822); West Virginia (Locals 92, 175 and 697) and Wisconsin (Local 346).

How do I find out more about Life Insurance Benefits?

Go to the Resources Section of the website and click on the link covering benefits.

What if my local union is not covered by Central States?

You or your beneficiary should contact your local union to see if they provide any life insurance benefits.

Where can I get a Beneficiary Form?

Please refer to the Beneficiary Info & Forms section above.

What if I do not fill out and submit a Beneficiary Form?

Any life insurance benefits will be determined by either the Fund or State.

If I filled out and submitted a Beneficiary Form in the past can I change it?

Yes, whenever your circumstances have changed such as marital status (divorce, etc.)

Who does my beneficiary contact to learn if there is any life insurance available to them?

They can contact the Central States Health and Welfare Fund at:(800) 323-2152.

Once I fill out the Beneficiary Form what should I do next?

Provide your beneficiary with a copy of the form, along with the contact information: Central States Health and Welfare Fund: (800) 323-2152.

Find Work

Event and Class Schedule

There are currently no scheduled classes.